The aim of the SA Orthopaedic Journalis to serve as a platform for the publication of original scientific research and the advancement of knowledge in the field of orthopaedic surgery and related sub-disciplines in South Africa. While the emphasis is placed on the South African perspective and relevance to orthopaedic surgeons in a developing world setting we strive to maintain an international audience. Furthermore, the SAOJ aims to disseminate orthopaedic knowledge in order to keep orthopaedic surgeons and related healthcare providers abreast of the local and international developments in orthopaedics.
The scope of publication encompasses all orthopaedic surgery sub-disciplines including paediatric orthopaedics, hip, knee, tumour and sepsis, spine, shoulder and elbow, foot and ankle and hand surgery. In addition the journal addresses the subjects of orthopaedic service delivery, teaching, training and research. Publications should influence orthopaedic care on our continent.
The SA Orthopaedic Journal aims to advance the knowledge of all aspects of musculoskeletal medicine through publication of:
- Original research articles.
- Clinical research
- Basic science and theoretical research
- Review articles.
- Invited expert opinions.
- A review of significant local or international publications journal article or cluster of articles dealing with a similar topic for the purpose of conveying a useful message.
- Letters to the editor.
- Forum to raise issues or debate aspects of previously published papers.
Criteria for publication
- The article falls within the scope of the journal.
- Methods, statistics, and other analyses are performed to a high technical standard and are described in sufficient detail.
- Results reported have not been published elsewhere.
- Conclusions are presented in an appropriate fashion and are supported by the data.
- The article is presented in an intelligible fashion and is written in standard English (British usage).
- The research meets all applicable ethical standards.
- The article adheres to guidelines provided in the instructions for authors section